Wednesday, October 23, 2013

Technology vs me!

OMG my printer died yesterday and so I was forced to purchase a new one! Then to make things crazy my internet was not working, and then it was and not again. Finally remembered the old trick of shutting everything down unplugging modem/router and starting again! What do you know! Then my computer would not add the new printer as the correct driver was not on my computer. Joseph would be so proud of me! I downloaded the driver, it installed finally after many attempts, and voila, I can print again!

I really have gotten quite savvy with technology. Don't ask my sister what I did to her phone, it took her 45 mins to get it to work again! All I was trying to do was increase the font size so she could read it better, oops, upgraded by accident! Nevertheless, I am happy I can do it myself without tech support or calling anyone!

Meantime another small crisis at Laguna rd. Gas smell has gotten worse and so we called out Blue Star again and this time they did a pressure test and sure enough a valve and a pipe are not safe! We have been battling this for years with no result and finally the true test was done and now a proper repair can happen. Remotely organizing has worked out well because thankfully I have great people who work for me. Such a blessing.

So I continue to make contacts and find new people and programs to connect with. I visited the UVA Child Development Center today. It is not a lab school, hard to believe they do not have one, but it was really well done. Small ratios, big rooms, lots of time for play, and I did not see any behavior problems! Of course we never do on our visits, as my friends at JFCS and ELI will attest. There is a lot of Special Ed here, OT and Developmental Support. Still circling perimeter but beginning to hone in on the contacts I need!

To get involved in the community I have started volunteering at the Habitat for Humanity Store! I bought a few pieces of furniture there and was pleased by how nice it was, how friendly, clean and organized! So I decided to go for it. It's not children and families directly, but a great organization as Peggy, Sara and Bob can tell you! So Weds mornings 10-2 thats where I will be till further notice, cashiering and generally helping out. I have long wanted to get back to volunteering and am pleased to have found a spot so easily.

My wrist continues to plague me, it aches, but bruising is getting better, and Peter assures me it is not broken. He used his magic healing hands on me yesterday and got a bit more movement. I went to my first Pilates class of my sisters and managed to do ok, didn't embarrass her or myself!

I found a nice walk for Skye and me just out our door! Right past my apt complex it turns to country and we can walk along on grass and into nice fields just off the road. It really is lovely here and the open spaces are plenty. Skye is doing great. The cat has to be indoors however. Alli is encouraging me to walk him on his safety harness I purchased for traveling, but I am not so sure he is going to be up for that. I will give it a go and let you know!

I am trying to figure out how to upload photos and a video, more tech challenges, so keep watch for that!

Made my reservations to come back Dec 20-27! Will be housesitting for the Bushes while they go to New Orleans. I am so looking forward to seeing my girls and girlfriends, you guys too! xx


No comments:

Post a Comment