Sunday, October 20, 2013

Sunday Oct 20, 2013

Amazing to me how life just goes on no matter where you are. I am so grateful for my friends and daughters who have supported me in trying this new life. Of course technology makes it so easy to stay close and keep in touch. Texts and email have really kept me going, helped me to feel connected to those I love and care for. Its not the same as being there, but it does make up for it a bit in my book.

Yesterday I had brunch with my nephew Alex, his girlfriend Rachel, her sisters Rebecca and Elle, and her mom Karen. What a lovely bunch! Karen works in the schools here as an assistant and teacher in an aftercare program. She was a wealth of information about that system and we all had a big talk about parenting and how really sad it is that so many parents today do not have the skills or the desire even it seems to really give their children the attention and guidance they so badly need. Karen shared some stories of 5 yr olds getting kicked out of school for swearing at teachers and kids, but who don't even know they are using bad language as it is so prevalent in the homes.

I am really considering opening Childkind Parenting Institute and see if I can make a go at it. Notice the word considering. I still have a lot of work to do figuring out this community and what is already provided, but the message I keep getting from folks is that parenting support and coaching is what is lacking.

I had dinner at Diana and Peters, with our good friends Robbie and Jim. My niece Liz came home for the weekend and joined us. My sister is an amazing cook and we had great conversations about politics,  books, movies and weirdly, fecal implants! Its in the news people! Very interesting and positive treatment for people suffering from Cdiff, and hopeful treatment for people with immune related diseases! Jim is a Phd Researcher at UVA in the medical school who specializes in gastroenterology. Of course Liz had to share an hysterical utube "Poopouri" you might want to check out!!

The squirrels are really having a tough time here in Virginia this fall. The spring was so wet that the acorns did not produce so there is very little food for them. My sister is seeing them swim across the reservoir when she goes rowing they are so hungry to find food. Yesterday as I was about to toss in my bag to the garbage bin, a squirrel came flying out, it was so freaky!! Poor things, they are also big road kill.

This afternoon I am going to my first Virginia winery! Glass House Winery is featuring free live music, tastings and tours! Imagine that!

No comments:

Post a Comment